Friday, July 30, 2010

Pitts"burgher" Bucket List

As I sit here waiting for Danny to finish a practice test and listening to my stomach growling at me, I'm trying to decide where I would like to go for dinner.  Danny and I have lived in Pittsburgh for over a year now.  We are pretty boring with our restaurant selections.  We are living on my teaching salary, so our budget is limited.  To avoid a surprisingly large check at the end of the night we keep our restaurants simple.  I'm realizing though that we now have less than a year left here and I think we need to start branching out from our usual Taco Bell, Little Caesars, Steak and Shake, or Five Guys.  I've decided to make a Pitts"burgher" bucket list of all the cheap restaurants we need to go to before we possibly leave next May.

The Pittsburgh Restaurants we've been to so far are:
Primanti Brothers**
Deluca's*
Pamela's****
Southside Steaks*
Los Chiludos****
What's Cookin at Casey's***
Jerome Bettis' Grille 36***
Alladin's*
Carbonara's**
Tamarind****
Taj Mahal***
Dormont Dogs****
Mendoza Express***
Beto's Pizza**

(*Not impressed)
(**Eh, I've had better)
(***Pretty good, I would go back)
(****LOVE IT! I'm going to miss this when I'm gone)

The Pitts"burgher" Bucket List:
Restaurants recommended by others:
Uncle Sam's
Dor-Stop
Quaker Stake and Lube
Fiori's Pizzaria
Mineo's Pizza House
Fuel and Fuddle
Green Mango
Angkor 
Restaurants I just found online:
Smiling Banana Leaf
Peppi's
D's Six Pax & Dogz 
Thai Me Up  
Original Hot Dog Shops Inc
Cambod-Ican Kitchen
The Terrace Grill 
A'Pizza Badamo
Armstrong's 

Do you have any thoughts on those restaurants?

Are there any other cheap restaurants you are in love with or wouldn't be able to live without? Give me your suggestions please, our deprived tummies are yearning for some culture! (Even if it is Pittsburgh culture) 

6 comments:

  1. Jeff and I love Uncle Sam's and Fiori's. I also have heard that the Dor-Stop was good as well but I haven't tried it. I personally didn't love Beto's and Jeff wasn't a huge fan of Mad Mex... but I know a lot of people like Beto's so I guess it just depends what you like. Good idea to make a list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just went to Beto's last night. I agree with you. Fiori's has now been added to the must try list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uncle Sam's is a must!!! You need to add Fuel and Fuddle to the list too. Take off Fox's Pizza right now, it's the worst pizza in Pittsburgh, but add Mineo's Pizza as a must, it's definitely the best!!!! Mad Mex is nothing special. It's not real Mexican food and it's not great. I would scratch that one. You must add Green Mango!!!! Its thai and it's mine and Darrens' favorite restaurant here!! If you go to D's Six Pax and Dogs, let me know, that one is on my list and really close to our house, but we have yet to actually go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffany, I just looked up the menus for Fuel and Fuddle and Green Mango. They look DELICIOUS! I can't wait to try them.

    The missionaries were over at our house one time and were telling us they love Pittsburgh because of all the great pizza. We asked them what their favorite was and they could not say enough about Fox's. They are the only people we have heard that from. I trust you more. Fox's is gone and since that's two strikes against Mad Mex it got cut as well. We don't have time to waste on mediocre restaurants.

    We will definitely call you when we head to D's. That will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.thesonomagrille.com/
    We loved this place!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh yes, Mineos. I miss it! Mad Mex is just an excuse to drink in large quantities. Not worth it. Sometimes, however, they do have their appetizers pretty cheap, and then it's not so bad. But Mineos. Yes, yes, yes.

    Have you tried the Church Brewery? Pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete