Thursday, July 15, 2010

I should be awarded Employee of the Month

Let's review the facts.

1. On June 1st I started my new job and I was 15 minutes late because the battery in my car was dead.

2. On June 4th I insisted on ditching the tour of our new locations early because Danny and I were going to Philly for the weekend and I didn't want to hit traffic.

3. On June 16th we moved from the central office to our new location in Carnegie and I was 20 minutes late because my battery had died again.

4. On June 18th I went on vacation to Utah for 12 days and I missed 7 1/2 days of work.


5. On July 1st (my 1st full day back at work after our vacation) I came to work for 2 hours then left early due to the splitting pain in my abdomen.


6. Turns out I had to have surgery and missed another 6 days of work.

While I was out recovering I had $720 worth of work done on my car, including a new battery, so I wouldn't have to be late to work again.

On July 13th (my 2nd day back at work after the surgery) I had to go to the central office in the Waterfront at 8:30am to sign some paper work.  At 9am I was in my car headed back to the Carnegie office. They had the main road closed off for construction.  Traffic was forced to cut through the shopping center in order to get out.  As I was cutting through I noticed I was right in front of a Target and there was an empty parking space right in front of me.  I knew I needed some face wash and I would have to go get some eventually.  I whipped right into that parking space and rushed into Target to make my purchase quickly so I could get back to work.

As I stepped into the Target I got that familiar rush knowing there were so many things that would be fun to buy.  So many trinkets and knick-knacks; things I didn't need, and things I probably did need if I thought long enough about it.  I set off with a purpose toward the health and beauty department.  I was side tracked momentarily in the jewelry department.  I spent a good minute or two looking at all the shiny earrings.  I even picked a couple up to look at them closer.  I was strong though.  I put the earrings back and completed my mission.  I grabbed my face wash and headed for the cashier.

Since it was so early in the morning they only had 1 register open.  I got in line behind 6 other customers.  After a couple minutes another employee came over and opened another lane.  The lady in front of me let me go 1st since I only had 1 item. "Yes!" I thought.  I was going to get in and out and back to work.  I paid for my item, got my receipt, and headed for the car.

As I was walking I started digging through my purse for my keys.  They weren't clipped to my strap.  They weren't sitting on top.  They weren't under my wallet.  I started wondering if I had left them somewhere in the Target as I was browsing.  Maybe by the earrings.  I decided to go to my car first so I could thoroughly search my purse. I was in a hurry and didn't want to have to go back in the store if it wasn't necessary. Nope. Not there.  Before turning back I decided to look inside of my car.  There they were.  In the car.  In the ignition.  And what was that sound? It wasn't the car next to me.  It was my car.  I had gotten out of my car and LEFT IT RUNNING!!!  I tried my door. Locked.  I tried the backdoor.  Locked.  I looked at the 2 doors on the other side.  Both locked.  I tried my door again.  Still locked.

I went back in the Target and asked for help.  Surely someone at the customer service counter would serve their customers.  After 7 minutes someone finally came over to see what I wanted.  I explained the situation and just asked for a hanger and a screwdriver so I could pry my way into my car.  They basically said "I don't think so" in a politically correct way and suggested I call the police.

I called 911 and explained the situation to the dispatcher who told me the police don't open car doors anymore and I would have to call a locksmith.

I fished my AAA card out of my wallet which was 14 months expired and called them to see if there was anything they could do.  They told me they could renew my membership for $60 and charge me a $25 fee for same day service.  This time I was the one to say "I don't think so."  

I called Danny to see what he could do to help.  He said he would come to unlock my door with his spare key but it would take about 40 minutes to get to me.  I had him look up the number for our insurance company to see if they would help.

I called USAA and they said they would be glad to help me.  (Hurray!) They said they would contract with a local locksmith to come out and unlock my door but it would be 40 minutes.  I was sure they were giving themselves a wide buffer in case something happened but they would probably get to me a lot quicker.

I leaned against my car and waited for rescue.  5 minutes passed.  No rescue.  I called my boss to let her know the situation and that I would be late.  10 minutes.  No rescue.  My car was getting hot.  I grabbed my purse and my face wash and walked over to the sidewalk in front of Target to wait on a curb.  20 minutes.  No rescue, but what was that smell?  It must have been the drainage pipe next to me.  I grabbed my things and moved down the curb, far from the drain.

Many people came and went.  Cars pulled in and cars pulled out.  "That could have been me if I wasn't so dense.  Why did I come to the Target any way?  Was this face wash really that important?  I should have kept driving!"  30 minutes.  No Rescue. "The next car will probably be him.  He should be here any minute."

I eagerly inspected every truck that came near.  Anything that looked like a work vehicle could be him.  I would get so excited as any truck came near thinking, "I waited patiently and now the wait is over."  Every time they would keep driving right on past me. 40 minutes.  No rescue.  Times up.  I pulled out my phone and dialed the number of the locksmith company.  I decided I would give them 5 more minutes and then I was calling to chew them out.  41 minutes. 42 minutes. 43 minutes. 44 minutes. *Ring* It was him!  He was here!

It took him 5 minutes.  He stuck a pad inside the door, pumped it up, got his stick in there, fiddled around a bit, and click, the door was open!!

7. On July 13th (my 2nd day back at work after the surgery) I was 2 hours late to work because I locked my keys in the car...while it was still running.


Wouldn't you consider me for employee of the month?

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness Maretta! Haha, I can totally picture myself doing that too! At least it seems like your boss is understanding:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man Maretta, this cracked me up! I locked my keys in the car the other day, too, and had to spend 4 hours in Barnes and Nobles waiting for Kurt to come and open the door (He accused me of planning it). Your story is much funnier.

    ReplyDelete