Monday, March 15, 2010

Bring on the Veggies!

I've helped my mom in our garden when I was younger but I've never had my own garden until we moved here.  My very first gardening attempt was last August after we had settled into our new home here in Pittsburgh.  I started some bean seeds I had left over from my kindergarten class in Philly.  I went out and dug up the weeds by the side of my house and planted the beans there.  They grew great.  When the flowers came I knew the beans would not be far off.  Imagine my happiness as I was about to reap the fruits of my labor.  

Then imagine my dismay as I discovered one day after work that my plants had been torn up.  It looked like a kid had gone out there with scissors and cut the tops off each plant.  It took me a while, but I finally realized those beautiful deer that I love to watch roaming around in my neighborhood were feasting on MY BEANS! The plants grew more, and the deer ate more, and such was the story of my garden.  By the time it started getting cold outside I was able to go out and gather a bowl full of beans - enough for one meal.

This year I didn't know if I would bother with a garden.  What was the point if it was just going to be grazed over every week?  Deer eating our plants was definitely not a problem we had to deal with in Dallas.  At enrichment though we had a class all about container gardening.  The Mormons in the east are not going to let some critters stop us from our natural instincts.  It's in our blood to plant gardens, even if we don't get much return on our efforts.

So here we go.  Round 2.  I've been saving the egg cartons all winter, the seeds I got at enrichment, and I found some pots and some dirt at an estate sale.  Even if we have no money, I'll get those seeds in the dirt one way or another.  Now, the question is if I'll get any plants? 

To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. egg cartons? That's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you didn't give up!! I just planted my tomato plant and nothing yet... And YEAH for enrichment:)

    ReplyDelete